BIS Certification in India
BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) is an authorized agency in India for the issue of the BIS hallmark certificate. BIS is a national body that maintains the quality, safety, and reliability of products in India.
The complete process and regulations of hallmark certification are governed under the BIS Act. The BIS is the primary authority that has been acting as the safeguard of gold products in India. BIS has set up eight central, four regional and three branch laboratories in the country for the purpose of testing samples of products during the preliminary and surveillance operations. BIS Certification is thus encouraged by the government for the following purposes:
- For providing a safeguard to the public health
- For providing quality assurance
- Encouraging consumer satisfaction
- For protecting the consumer from hazardous products
- For promoting consumer confidence
Products which require BIS certification in India
The BIS certificate in India is mandatory for certain products. And it is divided into different categories. Though the scheme is optional, yet the government in the interest of public health and safety has listed products that mandatorily require BIS registration. As of April 2019, 116 of such products have been notified, in following groups:
- Oil pressure stoves
- Cylinders, Valves, and Regulators
- Steel and Stainless Steel Products
- Electrical Transformers
- Chemicals and Fertilizers
- Household electrical goods
- Food and related products
- Automobile accessories
- Medical Equipment
- Electrical Motors
BIS certification scheme in India is divided into five different categories-:
- Normal Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers:
This is the normal procedure of BIS certification which is required for domestic manufacturers. In this scheme, the applicant needs to submit the BIS certification application along with the required documents and fees. After the application is submitted an inspection is done by the BIS authority. Then samples are tested in the factory and also drawn for independent testing. In this scheme of BIS Certification is expected to be granted within 4 months of submission of application.
- Simplified Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers:
In this scheme, the BIS approved sample is submitted. If the test report is satisfactory, then a verification of the factory premises is carried out by a BIS Officer. BIS certification is granted within few days if the verification of the BIS Officer is satisfactory.
- Tatkal Scheme:
This is for those who need the BIS mark mandatorily. Applicants can apply for it through the Tatkal scheme of BIS certification. Under this application, the application is processed with strict timelines and deadlines. In addition, the application received under the Tatkal Scheme will be processed on a priority basis to adhere to the strict time norms.
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme:
This BIS scheme was started in the year 2000. Foreign manufacturers are granted a license for the use of BSI certification under a separately designed scheme within 6 months period. This scheme enables overseas applicants/foreign manufacturers to use Standard Mark on their products. A BIS license under this procedure is obtained in about 6 months.
- ECO Mark Scheme:
The eco-mark scheme is for the products which are in a way is a special category. Eco-friendly products should conform to additional requirements specified in the Indian Standards to qualify for the ECO mark. Thus, environmental products falling under this category should conform to the basic requirement under Indian Standard.
Request a Call Back
What are the documents required for BIS certificate?
- Specification of the product for which BIS application is filed
- Trade Mark Registration
- Detailed flow chart of the manufacturing process
- A list of manufacturing machines – name, their purpose, capacity, etc
- In case certain processes are outsourced, the details and quality control documents related to the same
- Plant layout
- Packing and storage details
- Organization chart of the factory
- Location map
- Details of the Quality control team and their qualification certificates
- Test report copies for each raw material and part
- Authorization letter
- Original Test report from BIS Approved Laboratory